Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 16:00:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Cole Just <playr2@classic.msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: question about the 3.5" 1.44MB boot disk

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Cole Just wrote:

> OK sorry bout that.  What happens when I start my computer up is this:
> 	It automatically runs windows (whether or not the boot disk
> 	With the boot.flp file is in the A: drive or not.)
> I guess I should set up a boot manager, but I don't know what that is yet. So
> if you would tell me how, I would appreciate it.

You have to think about what it was the fdimage program did.  boot.flp
contains an "image" of a bootable FreeBSD floppy disk.  When you used
fdimage.exe, it didn't copy the file onto the disk, it wrote raw data from
the file directly to the sectors of the disk.  That's why you couldn't
browse it, and why Windows (Windows95 is really DOS 7.0 anyway) didn't
recognize it when you tried.

Even if something went wrong, you should at least get a "Non System Disk
or Disk Error" message when you try to boot from the floppy.  So you
either don't really have the floppy in, or the computer's BIOS is set to
boot directly from the harddrive.  If this is the case you should be able
to change the boot order to (for example)  A:, C:, CD-ROM.

You should THOROUGHLY read over the Handbook and FAQ.  I fear your next
message will be that you wiped your Windows partition if you don't.  If
it's worth anything to you, you might also want to get "The Complete
FreeBSD" as well.

Message----- > From: Jeremy Shaffner > Sent:	Friday, May 08, 1998 12:58 PM
> To:	Cole Just
> Cc:	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject:	RE: question about the 3.5" 1.44MB boot disk
>

> On Fri, 8 May 1998, Cole Just wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to feel a little stupid asking questions but, I'm really just
> > starting out and am going to be very greatfull to people like yourself in
> the
> > future.  I have yet another problem to question you with: When I restart my
> > computer, nothing happens. I believe its because I do not boot my computer
> up
> > with a boot disk in drive A:, my computer boots up and automatically runs
> > windows.  So what should I do?
> >

> Um...you boot with the floppy you made so that you can begin the
> installation.  If you've already done this much (Which I doubt), then you
> didn't setup a boot manager of any sort.
>
> Oh, and don't say "...nothing happens..." and then say "...boots up and
> automatically runs..." as it's very confusing.  Does something happen or
> not?

-Jeremy