Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:08:07 -0400
From:      Evan Sabin <memereferencehere@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting Xserve G5 Lights Drivers from OpenBSD to FreeBSD

I suppose I=E2=80=99ll just play around until I get things to work. =
That=E2=80=99s how you learn, right? Thanks!

<nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> It depends a very great deal on the driver. These don't look very hard =
to port, but there isn't a general porting guide, unfortunately.
> -Nathan
>=20
> On 03/13/18 19:29, Evan Sabin wrote:
>> I feel as though it would be nice to have a more complete set of =
drivers on my Xserve G5 running the latest FreeBSD =E2=80=94 =
particularly, and really only, to support the processor indicator lights =
and the system identifier button and its corresponding rear light. As =
such, I did some searching and discovered the most feature-complete =
drivers for these hardware components could be found in the OpenBSD =
source code. =
(https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/xlights.c =
<https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/xlights.c>=
) =
(https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/sysbutton.=
c =
<https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/sysbutton.=
c>) I suppose my question is =E2=80=94 How do I get from point A to =
point B, and how do I begin to port these drivers from OpenBSD to =
FreeBSD? What are the core differences in driver development on these =
two systems, particularity in regards to the PPC64 architecture?