Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 16:26:07 -0400
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
To:        David Broadwell <dbroadwell@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple network adapters.

* David Broadwell (dbroadwell@mindspring.com) [000422 16:11]:

> I have a 'set' of 3com 3C595 PCI 10/100 adapters (qty 5). I am using a
> FreeBSD 4 machine as the server. I have scanned through the handbook and
> most of the online information, and have yet to find answers to my
> questions. (including FAQ and handbook)
>
> Where can i find documentation on getting them (multiple network cards)
> usable by the system?
> What would be the best methods, compiled into kernel or modules?
>
> (i think pointing me to a multiple ethernet faq would be best.. I am
> just unable to locate one)

Just configure the kernel to handle all the different types of adapters you
have.  If you just have 3Com cards, that would be the vx or xl driver.  Some
ethernet drivers require you to put multiple entries in the kernel config
for each card, while others just require one entry and will auto-discover as
many interfaces as you have installed.

I presume that you're using the vx driver, since the newer xl driver for
3Com cards doesn't support the 595 chipset.  If you look at the vx(4)
manpage, you'll see that this is one of the drivers that requires multiple
entries in the kernel config.  You are probably seeing a message like:

vx%d: not configured; kernel is built for only %d devices.

upon boot.  Just put entries for vx0 through vx4 in your kernel config,
rebuild the kernel and you should be up and running.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                           james@targetnet.com
Targetnet.com Inc.                              Voice/Fax +1 416 306-0466/0452