Date:      Sat, 06 Jun 1998 02:39:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Kerby Smith <kerby@bengali.npl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: frying monitors

On 05-Jun-98 Kerby Smith wrote:
> hi, sorry if i did this whole thing wrong, this is my first time writing to
> a help thingy hehe... im VERY new to FreeBSD... so new i havent even
> installed it yet... but was reading some so i could learn some stuff new
> people have problems with before *i* start.
>
> i had a question about this:
>
> run xf86config as root (very carefully! a wrong answer can fry
> your monitor so run it again if you made a mistake)

When installing XFree86-3.3.2 run "XF86Setup" instead of xf86config.
When XF86Setup fails at all, then try xf86config.

> setting it up wrong can LITERALLY fry my monitor!? i mean like, to where it
> explodes, smokes, or stuff like that? things that i have to buy a new
> monitor for!? sorry to seem so shocked, i just, have never heard of software
> having the ability to kill someone's monitor (and im kinda worried now cause
> i have a expensive 17" heh)

Your monitor AND your graphics-card could be damaged by improper setup/config.
Improper setup/config would be running a graphics-card that is specified for
up to 80 MHz of pixel-frequency with >> 80 MHz.
Same for the monitor.
Generally i don't think they will explode immediately ... more a
melting-process.

BUT:
----
  Don't panic !!! You WILL notice a misconfiguration of both and you can
  at any time shutdown X immediately.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>