Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:34:47 +1000
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@shoal.net.au>
To:        questions freebsd <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        SimsS@IBM.Net, Jens Staurup <staurup@ozemail.com.au>
Subject:   Re: FTP installation via PPP in FreeBSD

Steve Sims wrote:

> Having never installed FreeBSD, I haven't a clue as to how to help you.  I've
> re-addressed your note to Questions@FreeBSD.Org - Maybe someone smarter than
> I can help...
>
> ...sjs...
>
> ----------
> | From: Jens Staurup <staurup@ozemail.com.au>
> | Date: Sunday, February 02, 1997 5:08 PM
> |

> | HI,
> |
> | I'm having a little trouble trying to install the FreeBSD via FTP.  I've
> | downloaded the BOOT.FLP for MSDOS, which I've RAWRITEed onto a 1.44,
> booted,
> | etc. etc. no problem, make my selection in novice mode as suggested, go
> | through all the menus, entering FTP as the installation mode, using an
> | Australian mirror (the primary one), entered all the IP info, and then I
> get
> | to the VTY (no that's not what it's called, sorry, but can't remember)
> | toggle with the ALT-F1/ALT-F3.  The instruction simply says that TERM is
> | about the only command you'll need.  How do I delived my ISP's number,
> modem
> | speed, etc. etc. and how do I dial?  I can't seem to get ANY response from
> | the TERM mode except, of course, from the ~. , ~p and ~? commands, but they
> | don't do anything along the lines of dial.
> |
> |         I also tried playing around with the various other commands, DIAL,
> | SET (including the phone number, etc. but I still can't get it to work),
> | SHOW, etc. etc.  DIAL seems to be the right idea, only that there doesn't
> | seem to be enough information for it to proceed.  It goes quickly through
> | the phase to delivering (as close as I can remember):
> |         DIAL 1
> |         Dial OK!
> |         Login OK!
> |
> | That's all the info. I can think of that would be relevant.  Thank you very
> | much for your time and effort.
> |
> | Per

OK here's what works for me, with some explanations. Maybe this will help.

When you I get to the part where you use <ALT>-<F3> to switch to VTY3 you should get a
prompt like the following:

ppp ON hostname>

hostname being the name you put in for your machine's name during the IP setup part.

ppp ON hostname>set device /dev/cuaa1
ppp ON hostname>set speed 57600
ppp ON hostname>set parity none
ppp ON hostname>set timeout 1200
ppp ON hostname>accept chap
ppp ON hostname>disable pap
ppp ON hostname>set authname username
ppp ON hostname>set authkey password
ppp ON hostname>set openmode active
ppp ON hostname>set ifaddr 0 0
ppp ON hostname>term
atdt210000

explanation:
set device /dev/cuaa1 , this sets what port your modem is connected to. cuaa0 for com1
and cuaa1 for com2. There's a bug on the install disk, no matter which port you choose
it'll try and use com1.

set timeout 1200 , this is the time for it to disconnect with no activity. (When
everything's up and running!)

accept chap, disable pap , find out if your isp uses chap or pap. Disable one and
accept the other.

set authname username , put in your username

set authkey password , your password

set openmode active , dunno but I need to use it

set ifaddr 0 0 sets your ip address and his address according to what he tells you.
(My ISP uses dynamic IP address allocation)

then term to connect to your modem and dial your number. If you don't get any
response, like you type and it doesn't come back to you, it means that you aren't
talking you your modem, wrong com port, modem hung/off, cable fallen out etc...

with my isp i then get connected to his Annex, i have to login and select telnet, slip
or ppp, i choose ppp and it switches to "packet mode" and I get put back to the
ppp ON hostname> prompt. You'll know if it works properly because the ppp will change
to PPP, if it doesn't work the modem will disconnect.

Let me know how you go with this and if you've got any questions you should subscribe
to the mailing list. see http://www.freebsd.org under support for how to subscribe.
You can ask me of course but I'd advise joining the mailing list for BETTER support.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Perry
mailto::andrew@shoal.net.au