Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:10:55 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, fbsdq@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re:Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com> types:
> I don't think this statement is as inflammatory as it may have been years
> ago.  Microsoft controls the desktop these days, both on the OS and the
> applications.  And while I applaud Corel for going cross-platform, even we
> WordPerfect users better know how to convert documents to/from Word format
> to get any business transactions done.

I was going to ask on what basis the claim was made. If it's
interoperability with most other people, that's certainly true. Of
course, on that basis, Windows is just about the best OS out there.
Personally, for interoperability, I generate PDF from Applix Office.

I really can't give MS Office a fair trial, because it runs on
MS-Windows, meaning it has about the worst UI I know of. It's plagued
with problems like inadequate control of layering, requiring useless
activity, and a collection of hard-to-hit gadgets for most window
operations. The latter probably has something to do with whatever it
is that seems to turn small window motions into a maximize operation,
which is really obnoxious. After my recent bout with having to use
MS-Windows, I now understand why scroll wheels on mice are so popular
- the MS-Windows scroll bars are a PITA to use.

That aside, MS-Word is a loser. While it may win the checklist
comparison, it lacks the ability to create real templates, as you
couldn't delete the built-in character and paragraph styles when I
used it. It also likes to save old text, possibly even from other
documents, resulting in both bloated files and a security problem.

Since word processing is the most important office activity, the word
processor is the most important part of an office suite. I don't
really see what MS-Office could offer to overcome these problems in
the word processing part of the suite.

	<mike