Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2011 15:58:00 -0400
From:      Ryan Steinmetz <zi@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        linimon@FreeBSD.org, swills@FreeBSD.org, wxs@FreeBSD.org, Renato Botelho <garga@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@FreeBSD.org, tabthorpe@FreeBSD.org, decke@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Replacing graphics/ruby-rmagick with graphics/rubygem-rmagick

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On (07/31/11 11:41), Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:30:07 -0400
> Ryan Steinmetz <zi@FreeBSD.org> mentioned:
>=20
> > All,
> >=20
> > I am planning on removing graphics/ruby-rmagick and replacing it with
> > graphics/rubygem-rmagick, pending maintainer/mentor approval.
> >=20
> > They both install the same library (RMagick2.so), however, the rubygem
> > registers with the gem framework.  Without it being registered as a gem,
> > other ruby applications which depend on the gem consider it not to be
> > installed and complain.
> >=20
> > As a result, I believe that the best course of action is to update the
> > dependencies in the two ports that depend on ruby-rmagick
> > (graphics/rubygem-gruff and www/redmine) and remove
> > graphics/ruby-rmagick, replacing it with graphics/rubygem-rmagick.
> >=20
> > I'd welcome any thoughts/feedback you may have.
> >=20
> > I do not have any attachments to being the MAINTAINER for
> > rubygem-rmagick, so if stas@ (or anyone else) is interested in it,
> > please let me know.
> >=20
>=20
> I don't think it's a good idea.  It might looks fine from the
> rubygems camp side, but for projects not using rubygems it
> means that you wouldn't be able to do 'require rmagick' and do
> the work.  Even worse, for non-rubygems applications you will
> need to run it via `ruby -rrubygems /path/to/app` instead of
> just `app`.  As an example of this try running bluecloth from
> the rubygem-bluecloth package:
> % ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/BlueCloth-1.0.1/bin/bluecloth
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/BlueCloth-1.0.1/bin/bluecloth:15:in `re=
quire': no such file to load -- bluecloth (LoadError)
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/BlueCloth-1.0.1/bin/bluecl=
oth:15
>=20
> Personally, I'm not in favor of having these two ports either, I actually
> requested the removal of rubygem- version immediately upon commit:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cvs-all@freebsd.org/msg149854.html
>=20
> Not sure why it didn't happen though.  But since other ports now depend on
> it, we probably cannot do it anymore. :-(
>=20
> --=20
> Stanislav Sedov
> ST4096-RIPE
>=20
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail=20
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

Perhaps the attached shar(1) meets the needs of both?

I compared the locations of the files that ruby-rmagick installs with the g=
em and
simply generate symlinks to fill in the gaps.

The end result is that the rubygem port should be able to meet the needs
of both.
-require rmagick should work
-rmagick is registered as a gem and available to other gems

If others agree on the tactic, it's possible that we could incorporate
the concept into bsd.ruby.mk and automatically enable it via a knob.
Then, simply convert everything else to use the rubygems framework.

Thoughts?
-r

--=20
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: EF36 D45A 5CA9 28B1 A550  18CD A43C D111 7AD7 FAF2

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50--