Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:19:43 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net>
Cc:        "Brian Reichert" <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs & modems

"Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net> wrote:

> > > I can ifconfig the card, but I am unable to get it to communicate. If I
> set it to mode 1, both lights go out. If it is set to mode 3, one light
> flashes, but still nothing. This is driving me to drink!
     [ ... ]
> WEP is enabled with a 10 character hex key which is correct. The same key
> functions for all of our linux laptops. And I double checked it on the
> Airport which is providing our point to point.

     If you're using an Apple Airport, you must use BSS mode (mode 1);
mode 3 is ad-hoc mode, which does not and cannot communicate with access
points like the Airport.

     Unless you void the warranty, the Airport can only handle 40-bit
encryption.  Make sure your keys are short enough.  Also, make sure that
you've enabled encryption; setting the encryption key does not enable
encryption (it just sets the key).  And make sure that you've selected
the correct key (of the four possible keys), if encryption is enabled.

     Is the network name correct?  It's got to match the network name on
the Airport (unless you set it to "ANY", I believe).

     Is the channel correct?

     See the wicontrol man page for more information.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com