Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:18:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ian@bulinfo.net (Iani Brankov)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hot-swapping ata disks

[ I don't know about the IDE code, but I can say something about the SCSI
code. ]

Iani Brankov wrote...
> Hi,
> I tried 'camcontrol rescan' and I found it works when I add a SCSI device while
> the system is on. I find it useful for adding/removing devices w/o restarting
> the box. (Maybe it's risky, but useful. I supposed that's the idea of the
> 'rescan' command in camcontrol)

Hot-swapping SCSI devices may or may not be risky.  It really depends on
your bus topology and whether your setup was designed for it.  In general,
it's best to only do it in a hot-swap chassis.

You can also do it with more conventional cable layouts, provided you don't
end up disabling termination or taking something off the bus while I/O is
going to it, etc.  I wrote a fair bit of the hot swap code with an external
CDROM drive in the middle of a terminated external chain.  The drive stayed
on the chain at all times, but I turned it off and on to make it go away
and come back between rescans.

> Is there a way to do the same with the new 'ata' code. (I know IDE isn't SCSI
> anyway).

I dunno about the IDE code, although I'm sure Soren will have an answer.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com