Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:17:39 +0200
From:      Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   User-selectable fetch/build/install

Hello,

[ Note beforehand: those are my first ports, so I might write nonsense
now and then ;) ]

I'm making a port of the sword project (www.crosswire.org). It's a
framework for bible-programs and consists of a library and many modules.
I would like the user to select the desired modules, and then only the
selected modules will be downloaded and installed.
Other ports (e.g. xmms) made several ports for extra modules
(xmms-crossfade, xmms-liveice, ...). But since sword has many modules
(>90), I wouldn't consider it practical.
How should I implement this? I could make a subdir containing other
ports for all the modules, or make a shellscript doing all this and
create a port for that, or create a complex Makefile in the port, ...
Except for the first idea, the pkg-plist would be a problem; it would
change when the user selects something else.
Could anyone shine some light on this?

- Willem

P.S. Please CC/reply to me since I'm not on the list