Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:10:04 +0000
From:      freebsd-questions-local@insignia.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: McAfee VirusScan for FreeBSD

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:09:02 -0600, adam@kdcomputers.com ("KD Computers
- Adam") wrote:

>Currently I'm using McAfee VirusScan for FreeBSD to scan my incoming email,
>but how would I go about licensing it?  I have contacted McAfee directly,
>but nobody seems to even know what FreeBSD is, let alone that McAfee makes
>anything for a un*x platform.
>
>All I need is just a single user version, nothing fancy, as all I'm doing is
>the email, nothing more.  Any ideas?

You will probably find that you need one license per protected user. I
considered changing from a per-desktop scheme to just putting McAfee
on an Exchange server, and that was definitely licensed that way. I'm
fairly sure the same applies to mail gateways.

NAI have a fairly "interesting" licensing scheme. It's very easy to
find that you are renting the licenses (this happened to me) and if
you choose not to renew you get a threatening letter from their legal
department warning you to delete all copies and sign a document
stating that you have done so.

Jim