Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:44:46 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fed up with PPP

> Ok I got it to work (finally :-) The problem was the fact that tun0 wasn't
> compiled into the kernel(wired error message?)
>
> Now, it's dialing in, and it says
>
> Dial OK!
> login OK!
>
> I also get the following message when I start PPP:
> 	Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable
> along with everything else

Read the section on the ``add'' command in the man page.

> However, I can't pnig a remote host.  Below is part of my ppp.conf file:
>
> apc:
>  set phone 9300502
> # set login "TIMEOUT 5 login::dima password::***"
>  set timeout 120
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0
>  delete ALL
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>  dial
>

> If I uncomment the "set login..." line, it will have a message in the
> ppp.log file that says that it expect "28000/AQ?^M" and didn't get it.  See
> below for the whole log file.

So, you want to wait for the other side to say "login::dima", and
when they send that, you send "password::***".  I suspect this is not
what you mean.

> Since the ppp.conf and ppp.log files are huge (at least mine are), I've
> decided to put them up on the web rather than have everyone download them. :-)

They shouldn't be huge.  It would be best to just include the
ppp.conf sections that are relevant - delete everything else, it's
just confusing.

You really need to interpret the logs yourself.  From the looks of
the above dial string, you haven't got a chance of logging in.  The
man page suggests using ``term'' to connect the first time.  After
you've established what you need to do, set up your login script and
enable ``chat'' logging so that you can see if it's doing what you
expect.

> They can be found at:
> http://www.apc.net/dima/fbsd/ppp.conf
> http://www.apc.net/dima/fbsd/ppp.log
[.....]

You're making it too difficult for people to help....  you need to
present the relevant facts (as far as you can tell) and see if people
say "we need this piece of info".

> ---
> Dima Dorfman (dima@apc.net)
[.....]