Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:15:23 +1000
From:      John Vender <john@jmv.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial port silo overflow errors

I had that problem with a Dell Dimension XPS T with 3.1 and 3.4 recently
and was tearing my hair out until I found BSD News Article 185853 by Andy
Smith in the archives which helped a lot. Apparently it's related to a IDE
controller on some motherboard which uses DMA and if it's not turned on
results in problems with things resulting in silo overflows. I had to also
do the second suggestion, turn off legacy USB in the bios. The box still
gets few silo overflows but a tiny fraction of what it was doing before.

I didn't save the post, only printed it out, but the article ID should help
you find it. If you can't I can type it in I guess :)

Cheers...John