Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 02:03:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Adidas Boy <binkieboi@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use a Firewall?

> I have always wondered what does a firewall really do for one? I mean
> why should one have one for their web servers and what kind of protection
> does it give to protect against hackers or what not?
> If i was to install a firewall what types of programs should I
> install?

One of the very basic things a simple firewall can do is restrict access
to certain machines...  We have quite a few boxes at work, and some of
those are heavy-security machines that really have little or no business
being directly connected to the world -- why risk exposing them to
attacks?  All of our Alphas & RS6000's are prohibited from any traffic
to/from the router directly, but they ARE allowed to talk to the proxy
server...  Without the firewall, it would be trivial for our users to
telnet directly into the machine (or out of it).  We only allow outside
access to those machines for a very small set of users, and they have to
telnet into one of the "public" machines first, then telnet to the Alpha
-- only users on the "approved" list have accounts on the public machine.

mike