Date:      22 Nov 2002 16:49:36 -0500
From:      "Karl Vogel" <vogelke@dnaco.net>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manage, centralize and backup configuration files

>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:53:48 +0100,
>> Janine C.Buorditez <johann@broadpark.no> said:

J> I was thinking better back up my configuration files.  Then I thought,
J> what if they were regularly backed up into a centralized directory where
J> I also could manage them from?  Like, when I'm done modifying a file it
J> is compied from the config repository into its original directory.

   You can do that.  I prefer to modify them in place and let the system
   worry about putting them under revision control.

J> What about a combination of rsync and CVS?

   Rsync is a good idea if you want your files backed up on a separate
   server.  CVS is a bit inflexible with directories, so I prefer RCS.

J> I'm not even sure this is possible.  Which is why I'm open for advices
J> from anyone who has a working model of how to set up such a convenient
J> way of administering your system.

   http://www.dnaco.net/~vogelke/Software/Configuration_Management/System_Files
   describes my setup.  All it does is keep a chosen set of files under RCS
   control.

--
Karl Vogel               ASC/YCOA, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433
vogelke@dnaco.net                   http://www.dnaco.net/~vogelke

I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.