Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:33:35 +0100
From:      "mal content" <artifact.one@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qemu with tap networking on FreeBSD 6.1

On 28/07/06, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> "mal content" <artifact.one@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Followed instructions from various places and ended up with
> > the following procedure:
> >
> > # kldload bridge.ko
> > # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=fxp0,tap0
> > # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
>
> I don't think it's part of your problem,
> but on FreeBSD 6.1 it is recommended to
> use if_bridge instead of bridge.

Ok, I'll try it anyway to be on the safe side.

> > I created 'if-up' for qemu:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > ifconfig ${1} 0.0.0.0
>
> > I have a working OpenBSD image, 3.9. I started it up,
> > set an IP address and default route, etc. Everything appears
> > to be fine there.
>
> The network was working?

I meant that as far as OpenBSD was concerned (had it been on
a physical machine) the network would have been correctly
configured.

> > I reboot the qemu image and just before the login prompt,
> > qemu goes insane. For some reason, it blasts UDP packets:
> >
> > (on the host)
> > # netstat -an
> > <snip>
> > udp4       0      0  *.62756                  *.*
> > udp4       0      0  *.62324                  *.*
> > udp4       0      0  *.62127                  *.*
> > udp4       0      0  *.62741                  *.*
> > udp4       0      0  *.59182                  *.*
> > udp4       0      0  *.63792                  *.*
> > </snip>
>
> How do you know that these connections came from qemu?

Because as soon as I ctrl-C the qemu process, all of them stop
instantly. They may not be coming FROM the qemu process,
but may be being generated as a side effect of what the host
is trying to do for the hosted image.

> Personally I prefer to use NAT to connect qemu
> (and jails) with the world outside. This way you can
> use pfctl -ss -r to see which connections come
> from the host system and which don't.

How does this work? I really don't care how I get networking
for qemu, as long as it works. I only picked tap because that
seemed to be the most common choice.

cheers,
MC