Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:31:55 -0400
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH/FTP Access

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:28:16PM -0500, DiaDems@Datasync.com wrote:
> Just wondering is there a way to limit SSH access (when adding a user or period) so that user can only use SSH to access or effect their home directory?

With ssh2 you can use chroot to limit access to other dirs. In your config:

ChRootUsers user1,user2,user3

you can also restric groups the same way:

ChRootGroups group1,group2,group3

Just don't forget to hardlink any system files into their directories so they can actually use their accounts.

Note: I've never done this myself and I just pulled the 'how-to' from O'Reilly's SSH book. This is a great resource,
and I recommend you get a copy.

> Also is there a way to give (and limit) a user FTP access to another users home directory?

You mean besides changing permissions?