Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:07:06 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        'freebsd general questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what is the process for migrating a pre-built kernel to a new machine?

--Sig_577kHaJr5KdNKSNDiqhWPSA

"Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com> wrote:

> So if when you say "copy the kernel", do you just mean the contents
> of the /boot/kernel directory, and that's as plain as it is?  Or is
> there more to it?

You should make sure that userland and the new kernel are in sync.
=20
> The reason I'm asking, is that I always plan for disaster recovery,
> and after a build, easily the single longest task for bringing my
> particular system totally back online, is compiling the kernel (im
> still running my 5 year old dual p3 800).  For time's sake during
> recovery, I would like to skip at least that process.

If you do a make installkernel /boot/kernel is copied
to /boot/kernel.old. If your new kernel doesn't work,
you can still use your old one.

Of course if you build two broken kernels in a row,
the kernel from /boot/kernel.old doesn't work either,
therefore it doesn't hurt to copy a known to work kernel
directory to /boot/whatever, to make sure it's not
overwritten.
=20
> Can you give me more specifics on exactly what should be moved/copied?

It depends on your kernel configuration.

The easiest way to make sure you don't forget anything is to
export /usr/src and /usr/obj on your build machine, mount them
on the target machine and run make installkernel from there.

Fabian
--=20
http://www.fabiankeil.de/