Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:18:36 +0100
From:      Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, marcs@draenor.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -nat or natd?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:19:15PM -0400, User & Ian Patrick Thomas said:
> As it was put forth by Ceri on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 12:25:04PM +0100...
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:56:08AM +0200, Christoph Sold said:
> > > Anyhow, having an external dynamic IP combined with ipfw would be a
> > > major hassle.
> >
> > Why ?
> > Can't you just use the -u and -dynamic flags to natd and use the interface
> > name in your ipfw ruleset ?
> >
> > I'm not having a go, but I'm going to be in this situation soon and that was
> > my plan.  Will it not work ?
> >
> 	You can use ipfw fairly easily with a dynamic IP externally.  Check out
> this link
>
> www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html

Excellent, that's pretty much exactly what I had planned (except for the
PPP bit - this is going to be on a cable modem).
I just got a freaked out when Christoph said it was hassle.

By the way, the section regarding options TCP_RESTRICT_RST needs updating as
that option no longer exists (hence cc'd to marcs@draenor.org).

Ceri

        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen