Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 98 17:29:52 MESZ
From:      Stefan Boresch <stefan@mdy.univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A few questions

and admittedly dumb ones (so I am happy to take RTFMs which point
me in the right direction as an answer)

Just upgraded from 2.2.5-stable to 2.2.6-stable, following the 'making
the world your own' document.  It worked, the new kernel boots, and
once I edited /etc/fstab the warnings during booting and/or CLEAN flag
not set stuff disappeared.  So, I guess concerning the core of the OS,
I am up to 2.2.6-stable.  However, it seems to me that I miss a few
steps to be completely up to the 2.2.6 level since none of the
add. packages got updated (/usr/local/bin/*), in particular, the
XFree86 distribution, and the /stand directory (aside from
/stand/sysinstall).  So here are the questions:

(1) Just to make sure: When I use pkg_add (or the ports collection) to
bring some of my installed stuff up to the most recent level, do older
versions of the software get automatically uninstalled? (Or is it safer
to do a pkg_delete followed by pkg_add first)

(2) While the /usr/local/bin stuff is fairly clear, how do I go about
upgrading the X-Windows system to 3.3.2? (either ports of packages,
though ports seems to be overkill)

(3) How do I update the utilities in /stand (aside from sysinstall); or
is this truly not necessary?

Thanks,

Stefan