Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:16:53 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   fd0c mount(8) Race

I mount a floppy at boot time. The entry was,

  /dev/fd0c               /twfloppy       ufs     ro              0       0

However, as of a recent CURRENT build I started getting,

  [normal kernel boot messages]
  Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
  Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point.
  Using /entropy as an entropy file
  swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
  Automatic boot in progress...
  /dev/ad0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
  /dev/ad0s1a: clean, 33463 free (647 frags, 4102 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
  /dev/ad0s1e: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
  /dev/ad0s1e: clean, 446216 free (12512 frags, 54213 blocks, 1.2% fragmentation)
  mount: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory
  Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted
  Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
  # ls -l /dev/fd0*
  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    9,   0 Jun 29 23:26 /dev/fd0
  lrw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel            4 Jun 29 23:26 /dev/fd0c -> fd0
  #

That is, even though once I drop into single-user mode we see the
symlink for /dev/fd0c, it does not seem like it was there when 'mount
-a -t nonfs' is run in /etc/rc.

It seems there is some type of race to get the fd0c symlink in place
and I am not winning it. I switched to /dev/fd0 and the boot went
fine, but if this is real, it should be fixed. Can anyone else
reproduce the problem? Or is it well known (I can't find it in the
mail archive)?