Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 11:11:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joshua Lackey <jl@arioch.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   diskless: Sun boot from FreeBSD

I'm trying to get an old Sun 3/50 to boot diskless off of my FreeBSD
server.  Everything works okay except mounting the swap file.  The Sun
expects to mount a file /export/client/swap, where swap is the swap file,
and from the FreeBSD diskless documents, FreeBSD will export a directory
.../swap and inside that directory is the actual swap file.

(When the Sun tries to mount the actual swap file /export/client/swap, I
get a:

panic: nfs_boot: mountd swap, error=72

Where /usr/include/sys/errno.h tells me that:

#define EBADRPC		72		/* RPC struct is bad */

If I make /export/client/swap a directory, then the boot gets past the
previous panic and gives me an entirely different panic.  (Related to the
fact that it thought that it just mounted it's swap file, but it really
just mounted a directory.))

Is there anyway to get FreeBSD and my old Sun3 to work together?

Thanks.

Joshua Lackey

--
jlackey@darkwing.uoregon.edu