Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 21:05:21 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetuya@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie question

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:

> 1) XFree86 3.3.1 was used with generic kernel.  Also,  my logitech
> ps/2(psm0) mouse worked.  The new kernel was built and the it boots
> fine,  however XFree86 3.3.1 refuses to run and says something like
> "mouse(psm0) failed to load".  Reconfigure xfree86 has not been
> working.  I specified "psm0" in the new kernel.  Does this matter
> relates to "profile",  "rc",  or "rc.conf"?

is the psm0 device detected at boot time?
what is your line for psm0 in your kernel config file?
if it worked before, and you haven't changed rc.conf/rc,
it should still work.

> 2) After installation,  the pc was rebooted.  It prompted to enter the
> login name.  So,  I entered "root" and hit Enter.  After that,  I was
> not required to enter password!  I tried several times with the same
> result.  I changed root password with /stand/sysinstall program.  Then,
> I am enable to enter root password.  I do not know the reason.

did you ever have a password for root?
are you in single user mode?

> 3) Since the reboot following kernel rebuilt,  the root partition(/) is
> full.  DF says that the capacity for / is 104% and -XXX is available.
> So,  I checked the / and found that the new kernel is as eight times
> large as the size of generic kernel although the new kernel,  which I

hehe!  8x larger?  10M?  that's nice, i'm sure
it's very powerful now ;)  your kernel has
taken up all your space.

> wrote was smaller than "generic" kernel file.  When I "ls -l" the
> directory,  the size of the new kernel is more than 9*10^6.  As a result

hmmm, let's see, 9 * 10,000,000 = 90,000,000 bytes = 90M.
that's pretty big!

> of this,  running programs is somewhat unstable.  The / was assigned
> 32MB space.

hehe, this is a good one!  i would make a new kernel ;)
make sure your kernel config is correct.  it can't
afford a single mistake.  see LINT ...  if you
continue to have problems, post your kernel
config file next time ...