Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:22:37 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Modifying only certain bits with chmod

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:39:54PM +0000, Jan Grant wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:51:28AM +0000, Jan Grant wrote:
> > > On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > >

> It's _got_ another name; it's called "/usr/local/bin/chmod". If you're
> running any scripts that don't sanitise their PATH first, then they are
> broken and need fixing.

Possibly, but that is not the real world.
If Mr Atkielski's change is genuinely compatible with existing chmod,
and has been tested even under the most pathological situations, then
he should submit it as a PR or whatever as an improved version.

On the other hand, it is his system and he can do what he likes :)

As a matter of fact I use octal masks rather than symbolic arguments,
but that is because I am so old I can remember using Unix before
such fripperies were invented. I would harldy imagine many younger
users are thinking octal these days..all they know about is this
new fangled hexadecimal nonsense .. :)

I was reading about the impending arrival of ACL's in FreeBSD 5
yesterday...talk about confusing the children. And it seems, if I
am correct, that it has no impact on the execution of programs, which
is where it would be *really* useful in de-terrorising the use of
root..but that is another topic all together.
Or perhaps I am missing the point.

--
Regards
Cliff