Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 14:30:36 +0100
From:      blokey@indigo.ie
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating ports system

Is there any work being done with regards to the ports system?  Are people for
example implementing a mechanism that lets you check if an older version of a
package exists before installing a new one over it (for example sometimes I
would install a port, then a new one comes along and I install the new one.
Then one day I'll be looking at my packages, see that I have two versions of
this port and delete the older one, but oops if the MD5 hash for one of the
old files matches the new one that gets deleted too and I end up with one
deleted and one unusable port).  I know some ports actually do check for this
kind of thing but surely it should be standardised.