Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:36:39 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@Alcatel.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskless boot roadmap (was:L Re: GENERIC build broken )

On 1999-Nov-03 16:15:03 +1100, Mike Smith wrote:
>> On 1999-Nov-03 15:59:38 +1100, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> >:Well, bootp in the kernel has to die too.
>> >
>> >    Huh?  And replace it with what?  BOOTP is the only way to get an NFS
>> >    root and swap.
>>
>> Sun uses reverse ARP to do this.  Reverse ARP _is_ a hack, but it _is_
>> an alternative to BOOTP.
>
>RARP would be a really bad move at the moment, since everyone else is
>using DHCP.

I'm not suggesting we move to RARP.  Matt was stating that BOOTP is
the only way.

>  There's also no call for the kernel
>to do any of this work; the loader will do it all and pass it in to the
>kernel in a format it can use directly.

Sounds excellent.  (Not that I'm offering at this point in time).

Initialisation code in the permanently resident kernel is basically
just wasting physical RAM.  The less of it there is, the better.
How much of the probe code can we move into userland?

Peter