Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:15:09 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        "Craig St. Jean" <cstjean@cs.kent.edu>
Cc:        imp@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Cardbus

--Clx92ZfkiYIKRjnr

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:04:32PM -0400, Craig St. Jean wrote:
> Success!! My road to getting things working was not easy though. I
> actually tried installing Gentoo to see if that worked, however it
> did not. After booting Gentoo with pci=3Dassign-busses (or something like
> that), it was able to show me the correct subordinate value via lspci
> (was previously 7, should have been 9).
>=20
> Excited after seeing that, I quickly reinstalled FreeBSD to try to fix
> the problem. Going through dmesg one can see that my cardbus is on pci
> bus 5 (pcib5). I then did a "pciconf -l | grep pcib5" and saw that the
> bus is actually pci0:30:0. Googling has shown me that to change the
> subordinate value, you use hex value 0x1a.
>=20
> Then the magic: pciconf -wb pci0:30:0 0x1a 9
> FreeBSD proceeded to load up the Atheros drivers and life is once again
> happy!
>=20
> I hope this helps someone out -- a little tinkering around and one could
> probably not need to install Gentoo just to find out the correct values
> (I only went that route to see if it even worked with it).

Hi Craig,

at last I was able to get my cardbus working with 32 bit cards! :)
I followed your advises and in the end the needed values for pciconf were=
=20
almost the same like yours.
Have you added the pciconf command to a start script? Where is the best
place to put it, so that the wireless device comes up soon enough?

But I have one issue: This all only works with a 7-current kernel from
January. I also have a recent current GENERIC kernel which doesn't seem
to support the cardbus _and_ pccard bus at all. An old 16-bit wi(4) card
was always recognized but with that new kernel even with that card
nothing happens when I insert it. dmesg doesn't show anything.

Can someone second this?

But anyway, thanks a lot, Craig!

Lars

--Clx92ZfkiYIKRjnr