Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:55:31 -0400
From:      Zach Hartley <zhartley@linus.highpoint.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & Gnome

Um, yes, choosing a generic vga video card and a generic vga monitor will guarantee a *shitty*
resolution. And, no, gnome is not the problem (though i'm more a kde fan ;). you just need to
actually configure X for your system correctly. here's an article i found through google:

http://www.osfaq.com/article.php3?sid=67

also, this part of the handbook might help:

http://www.freebsd/org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

its at the bottom, and (to me at least) sounds easier than the first way. Either way, not to
mock your new computer, but, honestly, what's the point of a 1 gigahertz p3 w/ so much ram
when they pair it with such a shitty integrated video card? You might just be better off
actually buying and installing an easier to support one. Also, make sure to use version
4.something of X. HTH.

Zach

Around Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:42:38AM +0100, Kastaki thus spake the following:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.3 (intel) ok....everything went perfect.
> Went back into /stand/sysinstall and tried to configure the X Window
> system....could not find my card, so I chose a generic VGA and I also chose
> a standard VGA Monitor....installed Gnome.
> When I run startx, Gnome looks like shit (excuse my language).
> I mean I am not used to working in such a low resolution environment, where
> even the browser that I installed (netscape) can't bring up a background
> colour!!
>
> My PC is nearly brand new Dell Dimension L1000R.
> Pentium III 1GHZ, with 256 MB of memory.
> The VGA is built into the mother board - Intel 810e, with 4MB on board
> memory.
> The Monitor is Dell's 17inch and in Windows 2000 I can get 1024 X 768 (true
> colour 24 bit) @ 60Hz!!
>
> I would really appreciate some help as I am moving into a Unix environment
> and I need a good looking desktop to go with an excellent operating system
> like FreeBSD!!
> I am fine using it without the X Window, but I do want to surf the net and I
> do want to start playing around with other Ports that do require a GUI
> environment!!
>
> Is Gnome really a bad choice or is it the configuration or is it the lack of
> a suitable driver for my card!!
>
> Appreciate some comments!!
>
> Kastaki

Zachary Todd Hartley
"Attempted murder. Now honestly, what is that?
Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?"
	--Sideshow Bob