Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 10:53:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Phil Pittard <vk5ham@seol.net.au>
Cc:        buga@beldin.net, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [BUGA] pcmcia modem cards

[copied to -questions]

On Friday,  9 June 2000 at 20:20:04 +0930, Phil Pittard wrote:
> Hi all...
> Just acquired 2 pcmcia modem cards at the right price :)
> 1. Netcomm CardModem 336
> 2.Banksia PCCard336

These *are* PCMCIA and not CardBus, right?  We don't support CardBus
yet.

> I have FreeBSD-3.4 (pao) running on my Thinkpad-370c

Don't use PAO.  Try upgrading to 4.0-STABLE.  There are great
improvements in the PCMCIA code, though there's a lot more that we
still need.

> and the 3c590 Network Card works fine BUT I cannot get either of
> these modems working - pccardc is useless & tells me I have 0 slots
> - it wont read /etc/pccard.conf ( I tried roughing up an entry based
> on a 56K Banksia entry & then discovered it wont read it!)

Doesn't pccardc dumpcis do anything?  If your Ethernet card is
running, this points to a serious problem in pccardc.  Another reason
to upgrade.

> Does anyone have either of these modem cards up & running & if so could
> someone email me off list with:
> a) a copy of their pccard.conf
> b) details of how they got it going IF they had similar probs to those I am
> suffering.

I've never seen these cards, and, given the size of this mailing list
(BUGA), you're not likely to find anybody who has.  You'd have more
success sending a question like this to FreeBSD-questions.  But I've
had these problems with other cards, and I solved them by:

1.  pccardc dumpcis.  For example, I have just inserted a cheap modem
    card in my laptop.  pccardc tells me, amongst other things:

	Tuple #2, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 42
	    000:  05 01 43 49 52 52 55 53 20 4c 4f 47 49 43 20 35
	    010:  36 4b 20 20 4d 4f 44 45 4d 00 43 4c 2d 4d 44 35
	    020:  36 58 58 00 35 2e 34 31 00 ff
	        Version = 5.1, Manuf = [CIRRUS LOGIC 56K  MODEM], card vers = [CL-MD56XX]
	        Addit. info = [5.41]

2.  Find a similar entry in /etc/pccardc.conf:

    #Eiger 33.6 modem
    card "AT&T" "V34+ Fax Modem"
	config 0x23 "sio1" 10
	insert echo Eiger 33.6K modem inserted
	remove echo Eiger 33.6K modem removed

3.  Fake it by changing the strings in the "card" line to match the
    strings I found with dumpcis:

    # Grog's internal
    card "CIRRUS LOGIC 56K  MODEM" "CL-MD56XX"
 	config 0x23 "sio1" 3
 	insert echo Cirrus logic noname modem inserted
 	remove echo Cirrus logic noname modem removed

    In this case, I also changed the IRQ to something that would work
    on my machine (from 10 to 3).

Greg