Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 18:30:46 +0100
From:      "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Quota and Apache Logs Puzzle

Hi,

I've decided to setup apache to store logfiles in the user's own directory,
say ~user/logs. I also want to make those logfiles part of the users quota.

Here comes the bit thats stumped me... if I create a virtual host for the
user, and I don't create the log directory, apache won't start because the
log directory doesn't exist. If I do create the log directory (as root), the
normal ownerships for the directory are user root group <user>, which the
user can delete, hence if done apache wouldn't start. So if I make ownership
root/wheel, the user can't delete it and apache will be fine as the
directory will always be there. But.... then the log files will be the
ownership of root and won't count in the quota.

Its fried my brain trying to work out the right method for this, so I'm
writing this to see if anyone out there can help me out with the situation -
either correcting where I went wrong or maybe suggesting an alternative.

TIA,
Andy.