Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:24:24 -0500
From:      "MikeM" <zlists@mgm51.com>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <B.Henning@navitaire.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ntpd

|========================================================================
|======
|+time.nist.gov   .ACTS.           1 u   26   64  377   51.856  -41.364
|20.284
|*timekeeper.isi. .GPS.            1 u   27   64  377   64.875  -25.463
|20.041
|
|I am assuming this is what you mean.
|It looks like it is working.
 =============

That's working fine.  ntp takes some time to fully "discipline" your local
clock.  You may even see "synchronization lost" messages in your log file
for up to a week.  The ntp.drift file takes up to a couple of hours to
appear.  The "unparsable" message is OK for new instances of the ntp.drift
file.  I usually install ntpd, then touch the ntp.drift file.

So long as the "reach" column shows 377, you are synch'd up and working.
The "reach" column starts at 1 and counts up to 377.

One suggestion, though.  Do not use stratum 1 servers as your source, they
are over-busy.  Use stratum 2 servers instead. Look here for some guidance
on this topic:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html