Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:44:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Appropriate Forum for Bug/Upgrade

What would be the best place to point out a potential upgrade idea for
the ports mechanism? The problem is a borderline between a bug and a
absent feature. I think all I'm asking is for the re-wording of an
error message.

The "Problem:" I was just trying to download StarOffice to check it
out when I got the following:

% make
>> StarOffice31-common.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice/.
fetch: StarOffice31-common.tar.gz: Permission denied
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles//.
fetch: StarOffice31-common.tar.gz: Permission denied
>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Now, my first instinct was that the 'Permission denied' messages were
coming from the ftp sites. However, after looking at the sites, I
realized it wasn't the problem. When I did try to download them
manually, I figured out the problem: I hadn't su'ed to root. (Doh!) I
must admit that this was not the first time I made this mistake either.

I think that problem could be more clearly indicated to the user. The
'Permission denied' could mention that the permission problem was
writing on the /users/ machine, not the ftp site. Also, what's the
point of trying to download it twice? If it didn't work the first
time, it ain't gonna work the second.

If anyone here has comments about this messaging issue please let me
know. However, I am more interested in how to get this suggestion to
the correct audience. Thanks.