Date:      Wed, 28 May 2008 16:03:17 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul+fbsd@it.ca>
To:        Greg Larkin <glarkin@sourcehosting.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what do I do with python eggs?

Thanks Greg.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 02:06:45PM -0400, Greg Larkin wrote:

> > I'm making a port that uses Python and easy_install.  I'm not
> > The catch is, it doesn't clean up.  A `make deinstall` or
>
> Have a look at the www/trac-wikirename port, and I think you'll get some
> ideas there.  The pkg-plist includes the following:
>
> %%PYTHON_SITELIBDIR%%/%%PYEASYINSTALL_EGG%%
>
> That should clean up the .egg file for you, but check this section of the
> Makefile, as you'll need something similar in yours:
>
> USE_PYTHON=	2.3+
> USE_PYDISTUTILS=	easy_install
> PYDISTUTILS_PKGNAME=	TracWikiRename

Yup, this is pretty much exactly what I'm doing, but with
PYDISTUTILS_PKGNAME=${PORTNAME}

My pkg-plist contains three lines -- two scripts in ${PREFIX}/bin and
the line quoted above, verbatim.  Yet, when I `make deinstall`, I get:

  pkg_delete: cannot delete specified file '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twill-0.9-py2.5.egg' - it is a directory!
  this packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request

A look into the installed package's +CONTENTS shows the egg directory as
if it were a normally installed file, though there is an @unexec line
that runs `easy_install -m` which I think may be part of the uninstall.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#uninstalling-packages
doesn't really help much.

Any further thoughts?

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>

  "To larger sight, the rim of shadow is the line of light."
    - Thomas William Parsons