Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:01:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        XDocRedX@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hope this doesn't sound dumb...

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 XDocRedX@aol.com wrote:

>Dear FreeBSD (and co.),

>   I've recently been considering changing over from Windows 95 to a UNIX
>based system, as it's gotten much acclaim.  However, I know almost nothing
>about UNIX.  I"m sure I could learn all the basic commands and whatnot, but I
>assume that the software I use now will not.

Good assumption.

>If I can't use my Windows 95 programs with FreeBSD, what is the
>availability of UNIX versions of common software such as text editors,
>internet providers and games?

Text editors are many. There are even WYWISYG word processors available
such as Aplixware, Staroffice, and Corel under emulation.

Internet providers are not a concern. The protocols that run the internet
are not operating system specific. OBTW, The BSD software that FreeBSD
runs is essentially the standard for internet networking.

Games, there aren't many games. There is Doom which runs under emulation.
If you want a gaming box I recommend saving a windows partition.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/