Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:46:02 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Joseph Jacobson <jacobson@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: things I noticed w/ 4.0

Joseph Jacobson wrote:

> VESA is compiled into the kernel.  I don't have a /boot/loader.conf
> file.  Is there any other way for the VESA module to be loaded at boot,
> before /etc/rc runs?  Also, none of the vidcontrol VESA modes work for
> me.  (All this isn't a big deal, but the error message is weird).

Nope. Might be what Mike said. Nowadays, an increasing number of video
cards aren't VESA, or only do VESA with software drivers.

> I didn't express myself very well in the above paragraph. :)  Here is the
> behavior exhibited by my box with apm.  When apm is enabled in the bios,
> and 'apm -e enable' is run, 'halt -p' causes the system to reboot.  'zzz'
> causes the system to hang (unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input).
> (I didn't try all permutations of my apm bios settings with 'zzz' to see
> if I can work around the hang, but I don't think that's the cause).
> Pushing my power button during the hang state caused the system to reboot.
> Also, when apm is enabled, after a regular 'halt' or 'shutdown', pushing
> the power button causes the machine to reset, not turn off.

Might be a apm option thingy. I haven't tweaked this in quite a while,
but... in the past, by default APM 2.0 was _not_ activated, because some
older stuff would crash. The default in the kernel had some flags or
missed some flags that enabled it. Look up GENERIC/LINT, and check for
those flags.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.