Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:08:53 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, r.j.steehouder@student.utwente.nl, dhagan@colltech.com
Subject:   Re: [FBSD-Q] Re: Burning Audio CD's w/ IDE CD-RW drive

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu> types:
> > > Have you tried this? Does burncd convert .wav to CD audio format?
> > > I suspect the result of the procedure above will sound like random noise.
> > It works fine.  I've done it several times.
>
> The cdrecord man page implies that wav files are in the right format,
> but the header needs to be skipped. Failing to skip the header will
> cause a click at the start of the track (as it plays the
> header). Do you get such a click on the track?

I started thinking about it after my previous message and
realized that is probably what is happening.  A wave file is
basically raw audio with a header added.  I had never noticed it
before, but if I listen very carefully I can hear the click at
the start of the track.  It's at the start of the silent lead-in,
and is an extremely short click.  I would have never noticed it
if I had not been looking for it.  Someone with better ears or
better equipment might notice it, though.

I would think that it would be very easy to strip off the header
(with dd, for example) if you knew the details of the wave file
format. It turns out that the headers add up to 42 bytes at the
start of the file.  Raw CD audio is 44,100 samples/second, 32
bits per sample (16 for each channel), so that 42 byte header
will produce about 0.2 ms of audio, and because it is relatively
random audio, it doesn't produce a click that is as loud as it
would be if the data were, for example, all ones.

When I get a chance I'll see what happens if I try to strip
the header off before I record the CD.

For those who are interested,
http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/courses/comp630/WavFileFormat.html
has some information about the wave file format, and
http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/cdaudio2/95x7.htm
has a lot of information about how audio is recorded on a CD.
The page following it has info about CD data formats, the
difference between mode 1 and mode 2, and other neat stuff.

- Bob