Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:12:17 +0100
From:      devet@devet.org (Arjan de Vet)
To:        rlytle@tqs.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dec 11 cvsup gives system that wont start ipf

In article <81E1D2E15CCBD311A74700A0C9E1CC8E03C07A09@chunky.tqs.com> you write:

>After cvsup'ing last night, and build, install, world, merging /etc, I found
>that at bootup that ipf was not starting.  The error message was very
>difficult to see but it looked like somewhere
>"fopen" was not able to open ipf.  So as a quick fix I put my "ipf -Fa -f
>/etc/ipf.rules" into
>rc.local.  Has anyone else seen this, or have a better fix?  I looked at
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf and did not see any new change in syntax of the ipf
>related lines.   Thanks,   Rob.

The were some changes for ipfilter related variables in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf because their usage did not match the rest of the
rc.conf file at all. The documentation in rc.conf(5) has been updated
accordingly. So I guess you must have overlooked the changes somehow
while merging /etc...

From the fact that you had troubles I conclude that you had more than
just the *_enable variables in your /etc/rc.conf[.local] file. Only
include settings that differ from the defaults in /etc/rc.conf, this way
you can easily avoid these kind of problems.

Arjan