Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:55:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slow response from machine with netgear card...

default wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried everything for this machine ... from creating a local I.P. to
> connect to to mediaopting the NIC to half-duplex, and I get 50% data loss
> ... for some reason, this only happens with my machine that has a NetGear
> card in it... I have other FreeBSD machines that have other cards in them
> that always run fine ... mind you, this 50% loss only occurs on the local
> network ... If I connect from the outside back in, it works normally ...
>
> I've found two things that fix it ... 1. was simply rebooting the machine
> ... but it happens again after about 2 hours. 2. re-ifconfiging the NIC
> interface works the same as rebooting (obviously) ... so I've been doing
> that lately ...
>
> My question is ... is there any way to set a cron job that will
> re-ifconfig the NIC? ... I tried it normally and it does not recognize
> the command, even if the cron is run as root ...

Specify the absolute path for ifconfig in your CRON job. (/sbin/ifconfig).
You have /sbin/ in your path; cron doesn't. Assuming you've got the cron
format correct, your job should run.

As for the "real" problem behind this (I have never had to add a cron job
to a FreeBSD box to reinitialize a NIC), nothing really comes to mind at
the moment, but it is entirely possible that you
	a) Have a bad NIC/not seated properly/other hardware problem
	b) Have a chipset that isn't quite compatible with the driver
	c) Have a faulty cable, or have crossover, excessive EM noise, etc
	d) Specify a media type which is too high for the physical
	   medium. (100baseTX on CAT-3 wiring for example).

To rule out b), and most of a), try a known good card of a different model
in the machine.

I have several 310TX cards under FreeBSD on a full duplex 100Mb switch,
and have never had a problem.

> Thanks,
>
> Jordan

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon