Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:15:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   JDK 1.0.2 for FreeBSD released [Java Development Kit]

From: Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: JDK 1.0.2 for FreeBSD

Announcement
------------
A native FreeBSD binary distribution of the JDK 1.0.2 is now available from
  freefall.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk102.tar.gz
This port contains the java interpreter, compiler, and appletviewer.
This is a completely unsupported distribution.

Installation
------------
1. Grab freefall.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk102.tar.gz.
2. Create a directory and untar the FreeBSD distribution in there.
3. Install the pdksh port.

Running the JDK
If your JDK directory is rooted at <jdk>, you need to set
  1. your path to include the <jdk>/bin directory
  2. CLASSPATH environment variable to .:<jdk>/classes
  3. LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include <jdk>/lib/i386
To compile a java program, invoke 'javac program.java'.
To run it, use 'java <name of main class>'.

Answers to Common Questions
Q: Do I need Motif?