Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:21:03 -0700
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anon FTP Server

Peter,

Paul Mather was kind enough to point me at PureFTPD.  It looks like it
will do the trick.

http://www.pureftpd.org/

/usr/ports/ftp/pure-ftpd/

I am running the pure-ftpd with command line options :

./sbin/pure-ftpd -4AeGiRsxXd

-4      --ipv4only
-A      --chrooteveryone
-e      --anonymousonly
-i      --anonymouscantupload
-R      --nochmod
-s      --antiwarez
-x      --prohibitdotfileswrite
-X      --prohibitdotfilesread

From:    Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: questions-digest V5 #1618
Date:    Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:11:53 -0400
To:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>

Mike,

=> Ok, so I am setting up an anon FTP server.
=>
=> I was wondering if anyone knows of an FTP server that I can compile with
=> all write (put,mkdir,etc) abilities disabled and that rejects all
=> non-anonymous logins.

I believe PureFTPD can do this.  It is in the ports collection,
under /usr/ports/ftp/pure-ftpd.  I think you need to run it
with --anonymousonly (-e) to permit only anonymous FTP.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa