Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:30:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   major/minor numbers

For USB support I need at least 1 but possible 3 or more major numbers.

	usb0

and possibly

	ums0
	ulpt0
	ucuaa0	(maybe)

Brian Feldman came up with the idea to use major numbers together with
other drivers, for example have ums use the numbers that also psm uses
(their both PS/2 mice). Anyone tried this? Sounds a bit odd if you do
not want to divide minor number space amongst them statically.

Second question is: How many minor numbers can be stuck onto a major
number? 16, 256, 1024, 2^16, 2^32 ?

Cheers,

Nick Hibma
FreeBSD USB project

--
The above are strictly my own opinions and not my employer's.

      e-mail: n_hibma@freebsd.org
   home page: http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl