Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:43:45 -0800
From:      "Scott R." <fluid@sfmidimafia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd mostly working but not quite...

[note: please cc me in any replies as I am not currently subscribed to
freebsd-questions.  Thank you.]

I'm using a FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE box as a gateway for my household
network (3 machines total).  I'm using natd + ipfw + DHCP.  It works
mostly as it should (i.e. the other two boxes are able to connect to the
internet as expected), but there are some inconsistencies.  For example,
if I go to Yahoo! and look up a map, I get a "The connection was refused
while attempting to contact rd.yahoo.com" message when I try to zoom in.
  This does not happen from the FreeBSD box itself (everything works
perfectly normally on this box).  Also, those wonderful ads embedded in
many web pages do not come up due to similar "connection refused"
messages.  This leads me to believe that something is not translating
but I'm not sure what it could be.  I tried disabling the firewall
completely and that brought no change to this odd behavior.  I tried
bypassing DHCP by setting everything statically, but the behavior was
still the same.

At my last apartment, I was running FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE as the
firewall OS and everything worked just fine.  Has something changed in
4.7 that might cause this behavior?  Or, could this just be an oddity
when dealing with AT&T Broadband (I had Sprint at the other place).

I'm not sure what information might be required to try and
debug/diagnose this so more info is available upon request.  Any and all
ideas will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

-Scott