Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:46:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Subject:   Re: IPFW bug/incoming TCP connections being let in.

> I had blocked incoming TCP connections coming into my network using
> IPFW, and I noticed that my brother was able to establish a Napster
> connection, even though I had blocked it earlier.

*sigh*

Thanks to Guy Helmer for being patient with me as I fretted about this.

I just found out that Napster leaves a client running in the background,
and even though I had added firewall rules to block new connections to
the server, the old 'established' connection was still up and running.

I didn't realize that was the case, so that everytime I 'restarted'
Napster the packets were getting through.  In fact, what had happened
was that the 'GUI' was being stopped/restarted, but the network portion
was running the entire time.

Once Guy walked me through and showed me that things were indeed working
correct, we rebooted the box and my rules worked fine.

Sorry for the false alarm!

Nate