Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:45:25 -0400
From:      "Kevin B. Hendricks" <kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>, Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        dev@porting.openoffice.org, openoffice@freebsd.org, kan@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [porting-dev] FreeBSD: Uncatched exception problem

Hi,

One thing the bridge code does a lot of is to use alloca for space in the
current frame.  This at one time in gcc 2.95.3 created problems for stack
walkbacks on ppc linux.

Perhaps we should change the test code to make sure the routine that does
the catch uses alloca a number of times (and memset that space to 0) to
make sure that growing the stack frame dynamically does not cause problems
for the walkback.

So somewhere before the "try" in test2lib.cxx you might want to add the
following lines:

#include <alloca.h>  // or whatever the right header is

         void* pSpace = NULL;
         int n = 20;
         for( int i = 0; i < n; i++ )
         {
                 pSpace = alloca( n*(i+1) );
                 memset( pSpace, 0, n*(i+1) );
         }

To force that frame to grow to see if that has any impact on the walkback.

Kevin