Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 13:39:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@lowellg.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: promiscuous ethernet

On 27 May 2000, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> I *think* he's saying that he's not just taking over an existing
> installation, he's going to have to have people coming in who are
> configured for, say, their own offices somewhere else on the net, and
> have to have their settings work in *his* office.  If that's the case,
> he can get them up and running on his net, but any services they're
> used to using are going to require extra programming (in pretty much
> the same sense his idea for DNS did), and some won't work at all (like
> printer settings or mail servers -- in that case, they may really
> *want* to talk to their "home" server, and there's no way he can do
> that).  I realize that I may be reading a lot into this, but the fact
> that he was snooping the ARP broadcasts to figure out what addresses
> to NAT sounds like a bad sign.  The fact that he will have to guess
> the netmasks is the least of those worries...

That was one of the questions I had that I wasn't very sure on; maybe you
could shed a little light.

My thoughts were this: how much traffic will I need to send to a customer
on broadcast and not directly to his IP? In what situations would I need
to know the actual netmask?

I'm not sure how I feel about ignoring the netmask, so any ideas would be
appreciated.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access