Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 12:58:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7860

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Steve Passe wrote:
> I believe we are talking about the GA586DX here.  I am told that gigabyte
> is now shipping a new version that uses the ATX PS connector.  If buying this
> board be sure to verify that your vendor will be supplying you with the new
> version.

I have two of the newer version boards with ATX power. These are Revision
3B. They cost us about 250 (UK pounds sterling) each. I'm running with
two 133's and I think it's the cheapest option there is.

okay 133's are slow ... (apparently too slow for most people anyway).
But two P133's in this box deliver the performance of approx. P266 * 0.9
at a much lower cost than buying one Pentium 200 on a UP motherboard.

> You *probably* could overclock 150s to 166, I have been
> overclocking my P6-166x512s to 200mHz for almost a month now without any
> sign of trouble.

This P150 has been running at 166 for about 2 months without a single
problem.

Anyway, is it time to consider buying smp as a real alternative? It seems
that it can now deliver a real performance gain over uniprocessor, and
with any given processor, doubling the clock speed is more than doubling
the price.

So, how long before SMP is in a release version?

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.