Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:11:31 -0500
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        bettan@nerim.net
Subject:   Re: reboot on freebsd 5.3-beta1

On 08/25/04 13:31, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 25 Aug, bettan wrote:
>> When i reboot , i have Syncing disk , vnodes remaining and numbers
>> but it isn't quickly and i don't umount my files systems before the
>> reboot.
>
> It should print a number once per second.  The numbers should quickly
> decrease to something in the low single digits. It is not unusual to see
> the number decrease to zero and then bounce back up a couple of times.
> Spending about 10 seconds or so at this stage is not unexpected.

This is a relatively recent change in behavior to workaround the fact
that IDE/ATA controllers/drives report that they have successfully
written data before they actually perform the write.  With the old quick
sync, people were experiencing corruption and data loss when rebooting.
  The new behavior is much more conservative and is designed to minimize
risk.

That was all off the top of my head so someone please correct me if I
remembered wrong.

Jon