Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:41:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

"Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:

Many thanks for your kind reply, which casts light on some aspects of
patenting.

> Let me preface with IANAL.
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:39:20PM +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> > "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > <joking>
> > The things mentioned above were new when they were discovered.  What
> if people
> > had "patented" the [more or less trivial] algorithms mentioned the
> very same
> > day they were created? :-)
> > </joking>
>
> Solving second degree polynomials was not trivial when it was
> discovered. Patent protection is a rather recent invention realtive to
> mathematics. We tend to think of science being a field where everyone
> is just looking for a chance to share all of their thoughts with
> everyone else. That's the ideal. This is not how it always worked nor
> how it has ever worked. Great mathematicians (e.g. Newton) closely
> guarded their discoveries and methods from the rest of the world until
> _they_ were ready to release it. You couldn't use Newton's discoveries

Maybe because they wanted to make sure that they would get all the credit for
their discoveries. :-)

> for quite a while after he discovered them since he didn't let them
> out right away. Knowing Newton's personality, he might have applied
> for patents if could have.

Newton hadn't a nice personality, actually. :-))

> > Or, to shift the origin of the time axis, what if people patented each
> and
> > every new mathematical/informatics/routing/whatever theorem and/or
> algorithm?
>
> There are many motives for patenting or not patenting. There is no
> point in patenting something that you don't think will ever recover
> more in license money than it costs to register and maintain the
> patent. Most discoveries fall into that category. When speaking of
> "routing," a lot of companies spend lots of money developing
> technologies and then give away the knowledge in the form of an open
> standard and an RFC. In that case, it is in their interest for as many
> people to adopt the standard as possible. For someone like a Cisco,
> they can spend money on this with no patent return since they plan to
> make money off of the hardware and support. Although it is perfectly
> reasonable for them to sometimes patent this kind of work if
> interoperaility with other products is not something they are after.
>
> > Should/would you have to pay each and every time a theoretical
> paper/book of
> > yours made [auxiliary] use of a patented theorem/algorithm?
>
> No. Just explaining how a patented process works is not using the
> patented process to produce something. For example, back when RSA was
> still patented, it was perfectly legal for me to put the algorithm in
> a book and sell it.

Could you make *money* out of it without paying *anything* to RSA folks?

> > And/or each and
> > every time a program of yours made use of the patented algorithm(s)?
>
> But I could not put a CDROM in my book with a working version of the
> code without licensing the technology.
>
> > How long
> > [reasonably] for?
>
> Patents have always had expirations. There are very good arguments
> that patents for algorithms should have short lifespans realtive to
> the current laws.
>
> > What impact would this have on the development of _new_ works and/or
> [better]
> > programs in the field (or even in other fields)?
>
> It depends on the field. Allowing patents can cause a field to
> boom. If people believe they can make money off of a technology and
> that they will have patent protection for their discoveries, they may
> invest great amounts of money and resources into the field.

I won't add to Rahul's comment on medicine here.  A number of people did a lot
of work in *difficult* conditions for reasons which had little to do with
money.  But I WILL add one comment on another field.  Albert Einstein was a
clerk in a patent (!!) office when he released his Theory of Relativity. :-)))

> > Incidentally, AFAIK, the development of Mathematics, Logic,
> Informatics,
> > Science at large has occurred fast and furious without patents for the
> last
> > few centuries[1]. Freedom of development has been (and is) of primal
> > importance.  It is for **this** reason that you are in a position to
> develop
> > your new nifty ideas _today_.
>
> As I mentioned at the top, it may not be as free as open as you
> think.

credit != money

I am aware that today a lot of people (far too many) are seeking money (and
only money) desperately. :-)

> If anyone had patented ideas, it wouldn't matter today anyways
> since the patents would have long ago expired. Anyways, patents _do_
> allow information to be "free." If you have a patented device or
> process you can feel free to share information about how it works, how
> you discovered it, etc. and not need to worry about people stealing
> your investment. The alternative is people trying to keep all of their
> work completely secret to avoid letting other people hear of it and
> copy it.

Thanks for these paragraphs, which cast light on some obscure (to me) aspects.

> [snip]
>
> > Theorem/algorithm T/Ai (the ith theorem and the associated algorithm,
> if any)
> > is a scientific achievement, for i=1,2,...,N.  As such, these theorems
> must
> > figure in the appropriate book(s).  They constitute knowledge and as
> such they
> > must be shared.  Not sharing knowledge is a dangerous form of
> obscurantism.
> > And YES, it should be a national[2] interest to finance researchers
> rather
> > then make them attempt to *patent* *knowledge*...
>
> They "must be" shared with the world. Hmmm... Again, it is and never
> really has been this way. Take one of the most interesting scientific
> and engineering efforts of the century, the Manhattan Project. That
> research took place amongst a _very_ small but able scientific
> community sequestered in the desert. It was quite a while for that to
> be shared with the world at large; we all know why. Same story for the
> hydrogen bomb or any other technology developments placed under the
> cover of national security. The idea that all information "needs to be
> free" is a rather naive one.

I would say yes.  And no.  Essentially because Science != technology.

Nuclear reactions (fission & fusion) are described in many Physics books.
_Understanding_ or _knowing_ Science does NOT necessarily imply eg having the
technology to produce a fission or H bomb.

Plutonium (and other) technologies, yes, those (hopefully) should be kept
secret.  Here I am afraid I have to agree. :-)

> > It is about this point that I disagree.  In general, IMO Science
> should be
> > patent-free.
>
> That's just not a reasonable view of how the world works. For example,
> the entire field of medicine would come to an almost complete
> standstill without patents. HUGE amounts of money are spent developing
> drugs and devices to be patented. Again, drug companies and other

Science != technology.

Let's label the knowledge of the mechanisms of how our body works as
"science".  If you are able to produce a medicine X from that knowledge, you
can patent it.  If another person produces another medicine from the same laws
in the same field, eg a new better medicine, he or she can patent it.

This is a very delicate matter, though (cf eg South Africa).  Others have and
will comment on this.

The central point remains: I strongly disagree on patenting _knowledge_.

> > Next, what would prevent all fields of Mathematics from becoming a set
> of
> > patents?  Would you imagine Functional Analysis (cf Quantum Mechanics)
> to be a
> > collection of patents? You are most probably aware that Q.M. will have
> > number of consequences for C.S. and computers at large.
>
> Again, you cannot patent information. A process you patent can then be
> freely shared with the world. You really only need to worry about
> getting a license for a patented algorithm if you are selling the
> algorithm or using it yourself and selling the products of it.

Hmm <example>
You would NOT be allowed to apply a F.A.-related theorem/algorithm in any
computer program evaluating eg Q.M. quantities (say, relating to a given
Q.C.S. device) without paying [$$$]$$$, because the theorem & related
numerical method is patented.  That sounds like trouble (to me).  I don't
thinks this helps research.

> > There has to be a better form of protection, both of the programmer's
> work as
> > a form of art and of the programmer's work as science (well, when it
> is the
> > case :-)), a form of protection avoiding obscurantism.  IMO, FWIW,
> patenting
> > algorithms is a dangerous way.
>
> But you agree there needs to be protection. If you have a better way,
> offer it up. I don't think that the patent system is perfect or that
> it is not frequently abused[0]. I do believe patents are the best fit
> we have right now for protecting the IP inherent in computer programs.
>
> [0] There are some beauties in the computer and Internet industries
> beside's Amazon, Open Market (5,715,314) owns electronic shopping
> carts, Priceline.com (5,794,207) owns patents on buyer-driven sales
> (and has sued M$ and Expedia, I hate to have to cheer for M$, but...),
> and Sightsound.com (5,191,573) owns music downloads (has sued Time
> Warner and CDNow, they demand 1% royalties on _all_ online music
> sellers).
> --

Yep, better protection.  For example, in order to prevent some of the curious
examples you quoted from ever coming into being; and to prevent monsters like
M$ from ever applying its ineffable practices.

-- Salvo