Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:38:50 -0600
From:      lambert@cswnet.com
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Linksys 10/100 + 56K PC Card (PCMLM56)

In <20010130161647.0C7DC36@ssabsd.csw.net>, on 01/30/2001
   at 10:16 AM, lambert@ssabsd.csw.net (Scott Lambert) said:

>From: hyghlander@mindspring.com (Don  Tansey)
>Subject: Linksys 10/100 + 56K PC Card (PCMLM56)
>Date: 30 Jan 2001 15:53:05 +0100

>With temendous kudos to Brian Schellenberger the followin pccard.conf
>file recognizes the modem side of this card:

>#This is the Linksys card I have, with the fat holder.
>#This is a speculative attempt to make it function as a modem. #Of no use
>to me, but perhaps to Mr. Tansey.

>    card "Linksys""EtherFast 10&100 + 56K PCCARD (PCMLM56)"
>                config 0x3 "sio"3

>Results in:

>sio4 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq3 slot1 on pccard1 sio4 type16550A.

>Now, If I can just figure out what device PPP wants to use to dial out
>I'll be all set. But that's a question for another list....

Don,

Did you actually get this modem to dial out?

I am running a Toshiba Satellite 2805 with FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE-20010129.  I
bought one of these cards in the hopes that it would be able to fill in
until the Xircom MPCI, probably winmodem, is supported.

Using the above information, I can get an sio4 device with the same
settings you achieved except that it id's the chip as an 8250.  When I try
to use it, the machine does a hard lockup.

I have borrowed my friend's NoteWorthy/3COM 3CXM056-BNW modem and it works
fine in this machine, with that port configuration and is recognized as a
16550A UART.  This leads me to believe that the IRQ selection for this
PCCARD is ok.

pcic0 is in polling mode.  Is that a "bad thing"?

--
Scott Lambert
lambert@cswnet.com