Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 00:02:13 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Hi,

> The Tyan Titan Pro (you have the MP table) also has 5 PCI slots on
> ONE PCI bus.  Two of the slots get mapped to the same int.
> However, the MPTABLE only had 4 listed -- I haven't investigated
> further (but the table is in ROM).
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a theory about this, specifically that just because the mptable
program finds the table in "the BIOS", it doesn't mean that the data is
in ROM.  Most modern MBs shadow the BIOS from ROM/FLASH to RAM for
speed improvements.  This means that they could dynamically build the
MP table however they wanted.  Note how we see the MP table for the ASUS
change when going from MP spec 1.1 to 1.4, even though it is at the
same address in the BIOS.  Also note how it shows 1 PCI bus without
a PCI bridge card, but 2 with, and how the INT assignments change according
to card placement and BIOS settings.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD